Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thankful

Today was a deep Saturday. Very.very.deep.

It started off by picking up Super S's brother and taking him across town, actually near downtown Cairo, to his first radiation appointment. He is not able to take chemo. His situation is actually pretty bad and not sure the radiation will stop the cancer from spreading, but hopefully it will relieve some of the pain he has and also kill some of the cancer cells.

While we were at this hospital, in the waiting room, there were lots of cancer patients there. Obviously they were going through chemo and/or radiation from their apperances. They touched my heart. A very fraile mother and her son holding her arm, a man who had the preparartory markings for radiation on his head (brain cancer maybe), an older woman in a wheelchair, fraile, tired and her face showed dispair. And then us, Super S's brother, who is a bit thin now, but no signs of treatment have affected him yet.

I sat there, tearing up, trying to hide this and then got up and walked outside. Super S came and we stood outside for awhile. I told him "you know we have a problem, but we are so lucky, we are healthy..." We said nothing for a few minutes but it was agreed.

Sure we long for a child, we are doing everything possible we can to fullfill this dream of ours, but we are healthy. I thanked God many times today for our health and asked Him, as I always do, to give us a child if that is His Will, but i will say, my suppplications today were more thankful for our health than usual.

Yesterday was also World Food Day and I saw a CNN International special, broke.my.heart. One in six people do not get enough food. 1.02 billion are considred hungry. So many of these are children. They showed videos of affected children, impossible to watch.

So while we long for our child, we are extremely thankful for good health, food to eat and pray for all those who don't have either.

15 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience. When I went to get my blood drawn once, it was a lot of blood so they had me lie down where the chemo patients were getting chemo. It felt surreal.... and humbling and I realized how gratefl I should be.

    your relative isi n my thoughts. How awful and difficult for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope super s's brother's treatment is successful. hugs.

    it's sad that sometimes we are reminded to be thankful for how great our lives are by observing the pain of others. TTC and IF really messes with perspective, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is so hard. We all have pain, but experiences like these can help put things into perspective. I gave you an award. come visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your BILs treatment works and that he'll get healthy. Thank you for a sweet insightful post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good health truly is a priceless gift. I hope Super S's brother responds to treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had the same conversation with hubby, especially after begging for GUCCI shoes. I felt so low, but yeah, I get it. Kudos to you for reminding me and others of this.

    I pray that your brother in-law will come out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to this feeling of being grateful for all that I have despite our problems conceiving. I hope that Super S brother will get some help throug radiation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry that you even have this difficult experience to draw perspective from. Many hugs, my dear. I hope Super S's brother is able to get some pain relief at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes situations liek this make one very happy for the blessings that we have in our lives. I'm thankful that you got to give thanks for yours.

    May S's brother recover and be grateful for his new found health in the future.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Super S's brother can get some relief for his pain. I'm sorry his family seems to have taken so many hits lately.
    Perspective is hard to find and hold onto. I'm grateful for your health as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pray for you, Super S, and his brother and family during this difficult treatment. I pray for his comfort, his peace, and for smiles and laughter wherever you can find them.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I send my prayers for Super S's brother.
    Sometimes I really lose sight of all I do have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moments like these are so humbling, it's so easy for us to get bogged down in our own experience that we forget how lucky we really are. Which is sad, the bad always seems to outweigh the good even when there are so many more good things than bad.

    I hope the treatment helps Super S's brother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of your family..and I am so so thankful for food health. I think about that a lot...thanks for the reminder today to say an extra thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for posting this. Thank you for reminding me of all that I do have. Mostly, I do a good job remembering and celebrating it. But sometimes, I need a kick in the arse to get back on track. How thankful I am for all I do have in this life. I pray for your family as you work through all of this...your perspective humbles me.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE comments! To me its like getting a present from a mystery person, ok well some of you are not such a mystery... but u feel me. You can subscribe to my updates via email or in your feeder of choice. Thanks so much for stopping by!