Monday, June 23, 2008

Too cool!

Wow, this is AWESOME!!! Article from BBC and a short video here.

A man who went on a TV game show to win cash to help him and his wife continue IVF treatment for a baby has been offered £9,000 by a mystery viewer.

Steve Davies, from Bolton, appeared on the Channel 4 TV show Deal Or No Deal to try to win £5,000 to pay for the process but only scooped £3,000.

He and his wife, Lynette, thought their hopes were dashed but a viewer called the show and offered to help.

Now the couple, who have tried IVF four times, can pay for two more attempts.

'Absolutely gob smacked' Mr Davies, 38, said: "We've had four attempts in total which haven't worked. Eventually we decided to spend what we had left on getting married and then save for another treatment.

"I went on the show and although I only won £3,000 we just thought 'well, we'll have to find another £2,000 from somewhere'.

"A few days after it had aired we got a call from the producers saying they had some fantastic news for us."

The couple, who live in Westhoughton and who run a tool hire business, married last year.
Although the donor wishes to remain anonymous, the couple plan to send a letter to show their appreciation.

Mrs Davies, 29, said: "I was absolutely gob smacked. I was so emotional, I couldn't believe a stranger would do that for us.

"If everything goes to plan and we have a boy we'll probably call him Noel."

Mr Davies added that he would not know what to say to the mystery benefactor.

"Thank you is not enough," he said.

"It restores your faith in humankind. All the bad news you read about and then something like this happens."

A spokesman for Endemol, which makes Deal Or No Deal, said: "We think it's amazing that a viewer has donated such an amount.

"This doesn't happen very often but clearly this case has touched somebody's heart."

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! What a wonderful and inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. I love it even more that the donation was anonymous. That is truly from the heart. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Via NaComLeavMo...
    I actually watched the episode it was announced in. Noel Edmonds seemed genuinely touched. There are some wonderful stories on Deal or No Deal, definitely one of my favourite TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a neat story. If I had gobs of money I would surely help some IFers out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a sweet story! How great that somebody did that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I love reading stories like this...reminds me that kind people do still exist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is such a great story!! Hmmmm . . . maybe I should go on a game show??

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE comments! To me its like getting a present from a mystery person, ok well some of you are not such a mystery... but u feel me. You can subscribe to my updates via email or in your feeder of choice. Thanks so much for stopping by!